I have been making my lentil soup for quite a few years, there is no recipe exactly, it’s sort of a throw everything in a pot and adjust it as you go. It’s a favorite of mine when I am sick or it’s bitterly cold out.
The ingredient list runs down as follows:
- about a cup and a half to 2 cups of brown/green lentils
- 1 potato diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 lemon
- a healthy amount of spinach cut chiffonade style
- 1 onion chopped and a bunch of garlic (4-5 cloves) minced that have been sauteed until onion soft and translucent
- 1 can of diced tomato (drained)
- 1 can of tomato paste,
- 1 bullion cube
- About 6 cups of water
- Any spices and herbs you see fit, I usually add some curry powder, basil, oregano, cayenne pepper, and lately smoked paprika, salt and pepper, this time around I added some fenugreek too.
Bring to a boil then simmer until everything is cooked, usually around an hour but your time may differ. The final step is in the last 30 minutes – wash and cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the soup pot, then drop the lemon in as well. At ten minutes left add the spinach. Its great with corn bread or a crusty french bread.
Photos by Kala