Maybe if I make food that’s Spring/Summer appropriate, the weather will cooperate. Ok, probably not but I had a weird desire to making something with black eyed peas so I came up with this simple little bean salad. It may be snowing outside (it’s mid-April, this is so wrong!) but dinner was totally picnic worthy.
Two Bean Salad
Makes 4 cups
- 1 TB olive oil
- 2 TB apple cider vinegar
- 1 TB Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 tsp. chili sauce
- 1TB maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red peppers
- 1 16 oz can of black eyed peas
- 1 16 oz can of garbanzo beans
- 12 medium button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- Combine the first eight ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium to large pan, saute the onion and bell pepper for a couple of minutes or until they start to soften up. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the zucchini and mushrooms and continue to saute until all the veggies are as soft as you like.
- Drain and rinse the beans and add them to a large mixing bowl. Add in the veggies and the dressing you made earlier and mix well.
- Serve warm or set it in the fridge for a while to cool.